Thursday, October 19, 2006

Job
OK, the basics. I've got a new $3500 mac powerbook 17", a 24" additional monitor flatscreen, and a budget for more gadgets. The place has views of the mountains in an historic building, cool people, stocked kitchen, catered meals on thurs + cake (good stuff) on thurs at 3p, flex hours (core hours are 11-3 and when i come at 8.30, no one is here), shared itunes music, lots of freedom. E.g. I left for a 3 hr lunch recently, biked to Stanley Park to meet the fam, went to the acquarium (world class), and biked back.

I'm still trying to get a sense for how to improve the org's PM ability. I'm in "watch and learn" mode and don't want to introduce change too soon (and get thrown out in the process). There are really great PMs here and I don't want them to feel like "the new guy is a know it all." Some shit is definitely done wrong (e.g. projects don't have a charter/scope doc. there's a proposal and then a functional spec...nothing in the middle...no use cases even). No one is counting on me to fix it right away so I'm trying to build relationships and consensus. That, of course, is fun for me b/c building relationships involves drinking beer (something I'm very, very good at).