Friday, August 18, 2006

Do Something! Do Anything!

Here's a simple truth: leaders like to actively manage problems. The problem comes when they don't really know what they're doing. Try to solve a problem you don't understand and you get...more problems.

Since university (where I had the most excellent mechanical engineering professor for heat transfer who ranged into other topics) I have struggled to grasp climatology models. No big deal. That's not my profession. But I've been rather frustrated by the pop discussion about global warming. There is a passionate, well-meaning, increasingly larger group w/in society that are clammoring for a Do Anything! approach.

I was greatly pleased to run into Michael Crichton's presentation Fear, Complexity, & Environmental Management in the 21st Century which he delivered to the Washington Center for Complexity and Public Policy. Wonderfully articulate, full of facts, and thankfully on the side of environmental management. (I thought his recent novel put him in the wrong camp. Guess I should have read it...)

via Sacca